Monday, February 17, 2014

What We're Up To Now!


WOW! It's been a long time since I wrote something here! I've been a little busy working on what training I need to do next with Monster and Punch. Monster had a trial in January and blew me away! He got his first Steeplechase Q and it was our first time running together in that class. I so wish I had video because that run was probably the best run we've had at a trial yet! Even the masters level teams were impressed! I was on cloud 9! We had a weekend of 5 or 6 Q's out of 8 classes :) 



The one thing I took away from that trial (and I knew we needed to fine tune) was our A Frame performance. Monster used to stride the frame naturally when he was younger but, as he grew, his stride changed. I have decided to retrain it using stride regulators. I don't want a stopped frame because I don't like the pressure and impact on the front end at a stop. Even if a dog is great at weight shifting to the rear there is still impact on the front end that I feel could be avoided. I am placing one stride regulator on the downside approx. 2 slats from the apex to cause a stride/jump over the apex. The second stride regulator is just before the yellow to cause the last stride to land in the yellow. Here is some video from those sessions:


Due to weather and time I have not been able to get back out for more training but we have taken a hiatus for financial reasons so I've got time. After reviewing the video from these sessions I realized that I don't like the way Monster hits the upside. Lots of stress on the shoulders and elbows. My plan is to leave the regulators where they are and move the contact hoop to the upside for a (hopefully) smoother a-frame approach.

With Punch, I have been working on Susan Salo's jumping exercises. We have started Foundation Jumping because Punch doesn't have much regard for bars and keeping them up. I want him to be more thoughtful of what he is doing and I am hoping that jump grids will allow for that. It seems to be working so far. I have noticed he is actually thinking and not just running full speed. I know he has speed but now I want him to have the skills. This is my first time teaching jump grids so it's a learning curve for us both. I have made some mistakes but have corrected them in a manner that I feel works. Here is some video of the grids we have worked so far:

One other training "project" I started was teaching myself and Monster an early front cross. I don't know what the real name is (maybe lapturn- too much fancy terminology these days). The goal was to change my body position using using my original inside arm, keep my feet moving but start the cross as my dog commits to the jump. It is supposed to put me in a better position to be ahead and cue him for a tight turn sooner. I have been working on just the single jump for now but will introduce an "off course" obstacle that comes after the jump to test our new skills. My timing is not always good but when it is timed right, Monster nails it!

My little short man (Shawty) may be retired but he has gotten to play with Punch's jump grids some days too! He loves still be able to play and I love playing with him... most of the time lol. Some times he's too excited and impatient and just starts bouncing around and barking. His training has been very limited these days :). He is my precious little old man though so he can do no wrong! I don't think I have any video that I have already posted to YouTube yet but I do have recorded sessions of Bend Work. That was a frustrating one but he got it. He has always been my handler focused pup and that was our challenge.

Well, that's all I have time to post for now but I will try to visit and update more often!


No comments:

Post a Comment